I need to walk more. It’s great exercise, and it’s free! But I found myself bound to my chair. Whenever I face a long article, I can’t divert attention. Not until my left back starts to prick. Yes, it’s not only because of the way I sit, it also the time I spend sitting.

Low back pain is a common problem as we grow older. That’s a threat because I plan to stay healthy for a longer time. People around me have complained about a similar thing. One of my seniors even reported a herniated disc problem. One day, she just couldn’t get up from the bed because of the pain in her back. The other friend just got surgery for a shoulder pain.

More people in my office are diagnosed with diabetes. This morning I received news that my colleague just got an angioplasty. He’s been a diabetic patient for the past decade. We, academics, really have problems with our diets. We eat everything, even consume sweet coffee to help enhance concentration. As age conquers us, those take a toll on our health.

So I come up with some points to motivate moving my body more.

  1. Set the alarm on my phone or watch to remind me to stretch or walk every 30 minutes.
  2. Drink plenty of water before and after your walk.
  3. Try typing while standing instead of sitting.

Those are my tips, what’s yours?


0 Comments