It's Saturday morning. My Ipad is playing Yellow from Katherin Ho and I can't stop singing along, ""Xing Fuuuuu!". It means happiness. 








I've been staying home since March, 16 and I'm very serious about not going out. My only connection to real people at the outside world is the delivery guys, perhaps not so much because I'm trying to reduce my online shopping spree. 

The concept is rather complicated nowadays, in the era of social media. We've seen various definitions from Instagram: is it going traveling? Is it having cute children? is it buying a luxurious bag? Is it having a house? Regardless, sometimes people urge to conform to those definitions, but they become depressed when they compare it to their own lives. Social media "experts" start claiming Instagram is bad for your mental health.
Well, Instagram is not the only one affecting our mindset. I started my day checking my twitter and you bet I saw a lot of awful things. No matter how many words I mute and how many accounts I blocked, the negative tweets flood. But, I have a way to cope. Most of them are trolls and they become great topic opener to my what's app group chat. I and my friends love trolling stupid people on the internet. That's how we get our laugh. 
It is social media that connects me to what happens in the world. It's the only option to check how the world doing during the pandemic. No, I checked a lot of canals to make sure the news is right. That's the privilege of the internet, right?
Social media shows the spike of COVID cases in my city. 
The social media informs how people start getting boring to stay home
The social media covers the story of my friends going around for communal sports.

Seeing a lot of people ease their vigilante is scary. I'm scared because they have children and elders living with them. I'm scared because they meet old people on their way. I'm scared because so many people despise them. I'm scared because it must be very hard for them to stick at home so they brave themselves to go outside. 



If there's something I'm grateful for about this situation, this phase of my life, is that I have options. 
I have the option to stay home. I can work from home. I'm glad I worked hard for the study that granted me this job.
I have the option to stay home and be happy about that because I'm introverted.
I have the option to stay home and not suffering because I can afford decent housing and food. And because I don't have kids to teach and husband to serve. 
I have the option to stay home and relaxing because I can afford good internet.

0 Comments