what's best for you
is less for me
it's my decision

our community's fast-breaking event
Nobody said it was easy. Making a decision for a lot of people means taking the burden of each of them. I kinda feel sorry for my bus coordinator who found it hard to bring out the best decision for everyone when planning for the community's fast-breaking. 

He took the time to talk to the elders and picked this Thursday to hold the event. The venue is quite far and I suggested to choose nearer restaurant. I realize my coordinator can't take a suggestion from people younger than him, so I offer the idea to our treasurer. She could pass it to him and voila! he changed the venue the next day. My tactic works.

The problem arises when some members said they can't participate on Thursday due to work or a prior appointment. One person suggested moving the date to the next day, Friday. At first, my coordinator is firm with his chosen day. But, he soon can't deal with the pressure and throw new pool to decide the date. In the end, more people agree to stick with the first plan.

You can't satisfy everyone, even if you try to be democratic. There's always people who disagree. There are also people who seem to support but leave you alone when the show starts.

The best way is to calculate every possibility to come up better judgment. We call it decision tree back then when I was in college. Hearing people's thoughts is good, but you have to know when to stop. Leaving prolonged unhealthy debate is not productive. A leader should know when to cut it.

Last but not least, a leader should have an integrity and perseverance to hold his decision. He shouldn't sway just because some people negate his ideas. The leader shouldn't be afraid of being hated as long as he's doing the best he can to bring the best way for everyone. They'll understand his virtue in the end.

0 Comments