Accidentally mentioned my Tumblr to a colleague and I'm not feeling good about it now. It's not because I'm ashamed of my blog (it's amazing, you know it), but I'm afraid of shifting her image about me. 


I'd love to maintain dual identity. I want my colleagues perceive me as cheerful 'normal' researcher at work. They don't need to know my fangirl side. I'm afraid they might have a certain prejudice about people liking anime and dorama. Some might think it's childish because they only know one genre of anime and they think anime is for kid (wait until you read my paper, people!). This colleague calls anime as 'cartoon' and I need to explain some genres like shojo, shonen, detective-mystery, and hentai to her. 

Second, I don't like to talk to people not my equal. I love having a conversation with people who has more knowledge, so I can learn. But, with those who can't even differentiate kdrama, cdrama, and dorama, it's a waste of time. I call them commoners. They are people who label everyone watching a narrow yellow actor as kdrama viewer. 

I had bad experience disclosing my 'secret' identity to commoners. As I'm so excited talking about the fandom (because...well I know a lot and you can consider me a senpai in some fandoms), they look at me with weird eyes. Commenting how I shouldn't behave like that. What? Loving what you do is forbidden? Geez, what a boring life you have there, commoners!

Still, there's part in my heart hoping this colleague got a different impact. She's a psychologist, after all. I hope she has different schema from non-psychologists.

0 Comments