It was few weeks before Christmas when the issues of respecting Christians or the question whether Muslim may say "merry christmas" were all over the net. It happens every year and it makes me thinking how people love to meddle in this you-better-stay-off business.

Religion is very personal, still it affects our surrounding. For example, I used to work in worker supplier belongs to a Christian. Any other employees are asked to unveil when working inside the office, but the owner didn't say anything to me. Inside I found crucifixes here and there.
I was hired for almost 9 months.

It's my choice to accept the job. They acknowledged my skill and they only wanted it, not my appearance. I was happy because I feel valued. My fashion is personal and i think my employer respected me enough to not even questioning it.


Now that I think about it, my being there should've brought impact to other employees. They might think how could owner let me wear my veil, while they're asked to take off. This becomes communal.

On another story, a veiled woman in red district of Dolly, Surabaya. How would people see this? It's obviously affect people's behavior. Another community affected story. My point is that you can choose whatever to you, but you can't force other people to think the way you want it. They can let it go or they can discuss about it. Among these 2 choices, it's easy to classify. The one who choose to ignore it must be educated ones, but those who keep debating it are probably not.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

I know various people. Some of my friends are believing various kind of religions (not only Christians. That's how awesome Indonesia is, you can meet various people). Most of them are educated and they're well skilled when dealing with this religious issues.

 I don't like them saying "Alhamdulillah," though, but it's not my problem. Most of islamic terms have been "Indonesian terms" because too many people using them. Therefore the meaning shifts not only focusing on religious area, but as daily conversation words.

My relationship with non-muslim friends are never too careful, or too lose. When you're too careful, you can't feel the warmness of the friendship. When you try to be too lose, you forget your limit. When I make appointment with m on Sunday, I always ask better arrangement (later, I found that they don't need to be in Church on Sunday morning. They can have another time slot for their services). They're free to say, "Happy Ied" to me (and enjoy the public holiday with us. And they never force me to any Christmas events.

I have never feel offended when people with big cross sat next to me. I do not own them anything that cause me to be afraid of. I don't mind them reading their religious book in public transportation because I'm busy with my own reading. I take distance, but not hating them as human. To be exact, I DON'T EVEN CARE! I'm not friending people because of their religions, but because of their personalities.

In my hometown, there's no such religious conflict like what happened in eastern Indonesia. We live happily side by side. Well, not really side by side. Those Christians (no original local people is Christian because we're muslims since our kingdom's days) are resided in special area. I don't know how it happened, but they choose to live among them. Still, they're blended well with local people. We even have government masjid around the area to show how good people's interaction here.

So, what's the key of having such peaceful life? Nobody cares enough to meddle other people's religious life. Each of us is being considerate enough to understand each other's rituals. For example, not to make party on Friday afternoon when the men pray.

0 Comments